Perceptions - August 29, 2007

So, I preface this entry with the awareness that many children this age do this kind of thing that I am going to describe. But nonetheless, it still amazes us how Kaia's brain works. Perhaps because as we've gotten older, the connections between time, space, and interactions are becoming less explicit. Here goes.
Yesterday morning as I was helping Kaia get dressed to leave for daycare, Kaia jets out of the family room with her red and white striped long sleeve t-shirt in hand headed for the kitchen. She looks for papa's cellphone and says something to the effect of wanting to show me the same. I'm not understanding and thinking she's asking for her papa and telling her that he left already for work and that he took his phone too. And I finally realize that what she was trying to tell me is that the shirt she was about to put on is the same shirt that she was wearing (perhaps a year ago) in the photo papa had taken and is the screenshot that serves as the background image on his phone when you open it. I'm not actually quite sure how I was able to follow what she was trying to say, but I figured out the connection. Then having forgotten it as a passing random connection we went off for the day.
We came home later after work and I had brought in all of Kaia stuff from daycare. The shirt sitting on her toybox. Shortly after coming home and settling in, Kaia again does the same thing to Brian asking to see his phone, very excited and a bit unclear as to what she needs, asks him to open his phone and proceeds to show him that the shirt in her hand is the same as the shirt she is wearing in the photo on his phone.
I had to document this interaction because, it is such an explicit display of cognitive development. I won't go into deeper detail. But is so fascinating to watch it happen. All the stimulation in her 3 year old world being taken in and stored and then connections thin and deep being made all the time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home