Friday, December 29, 2006

Palate Spurt

Over the past month Kaia's palate has taken an adventurous turn for new cuisines. For someone who would spit out jarred baby foods, would only eat fresh homemade soups made by her Hal Mi, Kaia has tried some very interesting foods lately. She has been loving when we go to Japanese restaurants because she can get miso soup and tofu, but lately she's taken to eating shrimp tempura, yellow tail sashimi and tobiko as well. Then a few nights ago Kaia had artichoke and potatoe latkes with applesauce at dinnertime and really enjoyed them both. Then a couple of nights after that, Brian and I were having spicy ramen noodle soup with onions and spinach and Kaia asked to try some. She was okay with the spicy soup and liked the noodles, but she actually asked for more of the onions and spinach, which was so crazy because up until that point, she had been meticulous about picking out even the tiniest pieces of onion from any soups and foods. Making an effort to say with each piece she'd find, "I don't like onions!" And would never have tried spinach before that. The only vegetables that Kaia would eat were broccoli and carrot juice. Finally, last night Brian and I made a Korean dish called dol sot bi bim bop for dinner and I made a version for her with rice, bulgogi, carrot, spinach, onion, and radish ban chan (moo che). And chopped it all up and mixed it all up with bulgogi juices. Kaia really liked it and ate it. She'd refused it before when we'd eaten it at home and when Brian has ordered it at restaurants. She is such an amazing eater these days. Oh, yeah, she's also tried pita and hummus and really enjoying that as well. This is so amazing for parents who have thus far had such a particular and minimal menu eater. Dinners were always two meals - one for Kaia and one for Brian and I. But lately we've been cooking more and more as a family with one meal. I must say though that Kaia's favorite kind of food is Korean. And to be specific - anything with rice, especially soups. But one thing is for certain. When Kaia is eating, she enjoys the experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home